Now it came about on the eighth day that Moses called Aaron and his sons and the elders of Israel;
|<< Previous (Tzav)||Next (Tazria) >>|
The Hebrew Words
Shemini means "eight" or "eighth". Shemini (Strong's #8066) is used 29 times in 28 verses in the Tanakh.
Shemini is the root of another Hebrew word: Sheminit (an eight stringed lyre) (Strong's #8067),
First use in Scripture
The first time shemini is used in Scripture is in Exodus 22:30.
"You shall do the same with your oxen and with your sheep. It shall be with its mother seven days; on the eighth day you shall give it to Me.
Last use in Scripture
The last time shemini is used in Scripture is in Zechariah 1:1.
In the eighth month of the second year of Darius, the word of the LORD came to Zechariah the prophet, the son of Berechiah, the son of Iddo saying,
- Aharon Offers Sacrifices - Leviticus 9:1
- The Sin of Nadav and Avihu - Leviticus 10:1
- Laws about Animals for Food - Leviticus 11:1
- Avoid the Unclean - Leviticus 11:13
Portraits of Messiah
Verse by Verse Notes
18 of the traditional 613 commandments are found in this parashah.
- 51- A kohen must not enter the Temple with his head uncovered- Leviticus 10:6
- 52- A kohen must not enter the Temple with torn clothes- Leviticus 10:6
- 54- A kohen must not leave the Temple during service- Leviticus 10:7
- 50- A kohen must not enter the Temple intoxicated- Leviticus 10:9
- 226- Mourn for relatives- Leviticus 10:19
- 251- To examine the signs of animals to distinguish between kosher and non-kosher- Leviticus 11:2
- 255- Do not eat non-kosher animals- Leviticus 11:4
- 253- To examine the signs of fish to distinguish between kosher and non-kosher- Leviticus 11:9
- 257- Do not eat non-kosher fish- Leviticus 11:11
- 256- Do not eat non-kosher fowl- Leviticus 11:13
- 254- To examine the signs of locusts to distinguish between kosher and non-kosher- Leviticus 11:21
- 483- Observe the laws of impurity caused by the eight shratzim (insects)- Leviticus 11:29
- 485- Observe the laws of impurity concerning liquid and solid foods- Leviticus 11:34
- 482- Observe the laws of impurity caused by a dead beast- Leviticus 11:39
- 259- Do not eat non-kosher creatures that crawl on land- Leviticus 11:41
- 261- Do not eat worms found in fruit on the ground- Leviticus 11:42
- 262- Do not eat creatures that live in water other than kosher fish- Leviticus 11:43
- 260- Do not eat non-kosher vermin- Leviticus 11:44
28 verses that include shemini (Strong's #8066)
View list of verses on BlueLetterBible.com