פּינחס - "Phineas"
Then the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "Phinehas the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, has turned away My wrath from the sons of Israel in that he was jealous with My jealousy among them, so that I did not destroy the sons of Israel in My jealousy.
|<< Previous (Balak)||Next (Mattot) >>|
The Hebrew Word
Pinchas (Strong's #6372) means "mouth of brass" [brass as in the brazen serpent or the brazen altar]. It is used 25 times in 24 verses in the Tanakh.
First use in Scripture
The first time Pinchas is used in Scripture is in Exodus 6:25.
Aaron's son Eleazar married one of the daughters of Putiel, and she bore him Phinehas. These are the heads of the fathers' households of the Levites according to their families.
Last use in Scripture
The last time Pinchas is used in Scripture is in Psalm 106:30.
Then Phinehas stood up and interposed, And so the plague was stayed.
- The Zeal of Pinchas - Numbers 25:10
- Census of a New Generation - Numbers 26:1
- The Law of Inheritence - Numbers 27:1
- Y'hoshua Selected to Succeed Moshe - Numbers 27:15
- Laws for Offerings - Numbers 28:1
- Offerings of the Seventh Month - Numbers 29:1
Portraits of Messiah
Verse by Verse Notes
Pinchas' name means "mouth of brass". In our study of Symbols in Scripture we find that brass/bronze symbolizes judgment. Pinchas' name could figuratively mean "mouth of judgment". When Pinchas took a spear and pierced through Zimri and Cozbi he was executing judgment against both of them.
Scripture tells us that we should show no partiality in judgment or fear man because the judgment is G-d's (Deuteronomy 1:17). Pinchas showed no partiality or fear but rushed with zeal to judge the wickedness of Zimri and Cozbi. G-d declares:
"Phinehas the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, has turned away My wrath from the sons of Israel in that he was jealous with My jealousy among them, so that I did not destroy the sons of Israel in My jealousy. (Numbers 25:11)
Pincha's action turns G-d's wrath away from Israel.
11 of the traditional 613 commandments are found in this parashah:
- 521- Carry out the laws of the order of inheritance- Numbers 27:8
- 346- To offer two lambs every day- Numbers 28:3
- 349- To bring two additional lambs as burnt offerings on Shabbat- Numbers 28:9
- 350- To bring additional offerings on Rosh Chodesh ("The New Month")- Numbers 28:11
- 351- To bring additional offerings on Pesach- Numbers 28:19
- 353- To bring additional offerings on Shavuot- Numbers 28:26-31
- 188- To hear the Shofar on the first day of Tishrei (Yom Teruah/ Rosh Hashanah)- Numbers 29:1
- 355- To bring additional offerings on Rosh Hashana- Numbers 29:1-2
- 356- To bring additional offerings on Yom Kippur- Numbers 29:8
- 357- To bring additional offerings on Sukkot- Numbers 29:12-13
- 358- To bring additional offerings on Shmini Atzeret- Numbers 29:35-36
24 verses that include pinchas (Strong's #6372)
View list of verses on BlueLetterBible.com